Tuntenhaus
Here are some links to the club I wrote about in the last post:
http://www.kubikberlin.de/
http://www.modulorbeat.de/projects/02_architecture/02_bigtanks/index.htm
This past Saturday night I went to a party in a place known as the Tuntenhaus. It's an apartment building that has been squatted by queer people since the period when the Wall fell. "Tunte" means "fairy" or "fag," roughly. Another useful word I have learned for this is "Schwuchtel." Anyway, apparently the people who live there pay rent now, just a very small amount. If you are a Chapel Hill person, think of The Castle, except that this is an entire 7-story building.
The people who live there may be kicked out, because the landlords (also gay) are interested in selling due to gentrification. So the party was a benefit.
The crowd was like no gay crowd I have ever seen before. Tons of homos with mohawks. Trannies in genderfuck drag. Etc. I met a cool S&M couple consisting of a trans-man (i.e., FTM) and a gay man.
There was also a really kick-ass drag show. The first DQ came out in a black rubber body suit and began her act by spitting her gum out onto the audience. The second was doing butch-drag--i.e., boobs but also hairy legs & boxer shorts. S/he sang a skewed Whitney Houston megamix (e.g., "It's Not Right" played 10X too fast). She sprayed the audience with champagne and covered herself and the stage with flour.
The third queen was a Marlene Dietrich impersonator, who sang "Blowing in the Wind" in German.
The latter song was fitting because the main dance space featured all manner of campy cover songs in German: "What a Feeling," "Life after Love," etc. The people I talked to hadn't heard most of them before, so they must have really dug them up from somewhere. There was also a dance-space underground featuring techno.
I also found a link for this place online:
www.tuntenhaus-berlin.de
Check out the "bilder" for some photos from an earlier party.
http://www.kubikberlin.de/
http://www.modulorbeat.de/projects/02_architecture/02_bigtanks/index.htm
This past Saturday night I went to a party in a place known as the Tuntenhaus. It's an apartment building that has been squatted by queer people since the period when the Wall fell. "Tunte" means "fairy" or "fag," roughly. Another useful word I have learned for this is "Schwuchtel." Anyway, apparently the people who live there pay rent now, just a very small amount. If you are a Chapel Hill person, think of The Castle, except that this is an entire 7-story building.
The people who live there may be kicked out, because the landlords (also gay) are interested in selling due to gentrification. So the party was a benefit.
The crowd was like no gay crowd I have ever seen before. Tons of homos with mohawks. Trannies in genderfuck drag. Etc. I met a cool S&M couple consisting of a trans-man (i.e., FTM) and a gay man.
There was also a really kick-ass drag show. The first DQ came out in a black rubber body suit and began her act by spitting her gum out onto the audience. The second was doing butch-drag--i.e., boobs but also hairy legs & boxer shorts. S/he sang a skewed Whitney Houston megamix (e.g., "It's Not Right" played 10X too fast). She sprayed the audience with champagne and covered herself and the stage with flour.
The third queen was a Marlene Dietrich impersonator, who sang "Blowing in the Wind" in German.
The latter song was fitting because the main dance space featured all manner of campy cover songs in German: "What a Feeling," "Life after Love," etc. The people I talked to hadn't heard most of them before, so they must have really dug them up from somewhere. There was also a dance-space underground featuring techno.
I also found a link for this place online:
www.tuntenhaus-berlin.de
Check out the "bilder" for some photos from an earlier party.


2 Comments:
All you ever seem to do is party and go to clubs. Nothing has changed. Tee hee.
Mxxxx
Except now I'm doing research! hehe :)
Post a Comment
<< Home