Saturday, July 29, 2006

Ganz übercoolische, wirklich

The title of this post is playing off a word that is featured prominently on this site:

http://www.ubercoolische.com/

The site is a wicked parody of the trend of North American techno hipsters moving to Berlin, and particularly several such hipsters who are now among the most prominent musicians in the city.

Anyway, I am still recovering from Thursday night, where I went to a club that was in fact pretty damn cool, and seemed to me to be echt Berlin.

The club is called Cubik (sp?). Just opened two weeks ago. The name is very apt: the club is a small, cube-like structure, and all of its walls are comprised of various cubes, the dimensions of which are perhaps about 1 cubic meter each. The cubes light up in various patterns, so that if you are looking at the club from a distance, it looks sort of like a flashing Rubik's cube (except all the cubes are green).

This alone was pretty interesting, but was what unlike any other club I've ever been to is the fact that there was no ceiling. It was entirely open-air.

It was in this rather large open space between two buildings. The structure itself isn't that large, so people were spending a lot of time outside. About 300 feet away from the club is the Spree, the river, formerly a border between East and West. On the banks of the river the club had set up a "beach," which means basically that there was a space with sand and beach chairs.

Unfortunately I did not have my camera with me. Must get a camera phone!

I was invited there by a friend who isn't in the techno scene, and I didn't want to go at first, even though he swore I would love it. Honestly, I figured it was going to be somewhere cheesy or boring. But all manner of scenesters were there... So his judgment turned out to be spot-on.

After the sun came up we went to the beach, lay down, and watched the clouds for a really long time. Went to bed around 9. The next day, I discovered that I had brought the beach with me... I spent a lot of time sweeping, and I still have sand in my pockets, wallet, who knows where else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home