Wednesday, July 05, 2006

First post


Hello all,

From July 5 through August 22, 2006, I will be living in Berlin, Germany, where I am researching a book entitled Technologies of Improvisation in Electronic Music Performance. The purpose of this blog is to share my experience with my friends, and also to record my thoughts and impressions while they are still fresh in my mind.

I arrived in Berlin this afternoon. En route, I had the distinction of having not just one but TWO of my bags searched (one in security, one while checked). It's all that damn camera equipment. I also came closer than ever before to violating the weight limit, with a 60-lb. bag. But only 60% of it was cosmetics, I swear! :P

I'm really glad to be back here. I'm staying in a quiet residential neighborhood that's still quite close to the rest of the city. The apartment is very nice (see pic--a view from my balcony), and so is the landlady. After I arrived she spent a couple of hours showing me around the neighborhood, and she even gave me the key to her bike to use while I'm in town!

Random observation related to this: like Philly, Berlin has a designated bus/bicycle lane on major streets in the city center. I was amazed to discover, however, that one can actually ride in it, because people with cars *don't drive in it!!*

Tomorrow I will review some of my field materials, in preparation for what I hope will be an interesting weekend (it's the beginning of "Love Week"). But for now, bed, before I collapse onto my keyboard.

cheers,
M

1 Comments:

Blogger Overboard said...

I want more photos! Photos. Mozart photos.
xxx

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home